In this course students will learn essential programming skills and techniques that are required to develop Windows Store apps. This includes a combination of both design and development skills, as well as ensuring that students are comfortable using and making the most of the Microsoft Visual Studio and Expression Blend tools.
This course is intended for professional developers who have 1 to 2 years of experience creating client applications and who are comfortable programming in C# and have done some XAML-based programming.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the Windows 8.1 platform and features, and explore the basics of a Windows app interface.
- Create the User Interface layout and structure by using XAML.
- Use data binding to present data in the UI.
- Implement the AppBar and layout controls.
- Handle files and streams.
- Respond to application lifecycle events using Process Lifetime Management and the PLM extensibility points provided by the Visual Studio 2013 templates.
- Use templates to create the UI.
- Handle navigation scenarios in a Windows Store app.
- Design and implement contracts such as Search, Share and Settings.
- Implement tiles and toast notifications in a Windows Store app.
- Respond to mouse, keyboard and touch events, including gestures.
- Deploy a Windows Store app to the Windows Store or an enterprise store.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- 1 or more years of experience creating applications
- 1 to 3 months experience creating Windows client applications
- 1 to 3 months experience using Visual Studio 2010 or 2012
- Attended Course Programming in C# (20483C), or equivalent knowledge
- Overview of the Windows 8.1 Platform and Windows StoreApps
- Creating User Interfaces Using XAML
- Presenting Data
- Implementing Layout Using Windows 8.1 Built-In Controls
- Handling Files in Windows Store Apps
- Windows Store App Process Lifetime Management
- Working with Resources, Styles, and Templates
- Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store app
- Implementing Windows 8.1 Contracts
- Implementing Tiles and User Notifications
- Designing and Implementing a Data Access Strategy
- Responding to Mouse and Touch
- Planning for Windows Store App Deployment