This five-day instructor-led course teaches students how to implement self-service Business Intelligence (BI) and Big Data analysis solutions using the Microsoft data platform. The course discusses the rationale for self-service BI, and describes how to use Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft SharePoint Server, and Microsoft Office 365 Power BI to create self-service data models and reports. The course then goes on to describe how to use Windows Azure HDInsight to perform Big Data analysis.
Note: This course is designed for customers who are interested in learning SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. It covers the new features in SQL Server 2014, but also the important capabilities across the SQL Server data platform.
The primary audience for this course is database and business intelligence (BI) professionals who are familiar with data warehouses and enterprise BI solutions built with SQL Server technologies. Experienced data analysts who want to learn how to use Microsoft technologies for self-service analysis and reporting will also benefit from attending this course.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key features and benefits of self-service BI.
- Use SQL Server Reporting Services to implement a self-service reporting solution.
- Use PowerPivot in Microsoft Excel to create analytical data models.
- Use Power Query in Microsoft Excel to import data into a data model.
- Use Power View in Microsoft Excel to create interactive data visualizations.
- Use Power Map in Microsoft Excel to create geographic data visualizations.
- Use Microsoft SharePoint Server to implement collaborative self-service BI solutions.
- Provision and use a Windows Azure HDInsight cluster for Big Data analysis.
- Use Pig and Hive to analyze big data in Windows Azure HDInsight.
- Design and implement Big Data processes to support self-service BI.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Knowledge of data warehousing and data modeling principles.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
- Module 1: Planning a BI Solution
- Module 2: Planning BI Infrastructure
- Module 3: Designing a Data Warehouse
- Module 4: Designing an ETL solution
- Module 5: Designing Analytical Data Models
- Module 6: Planning a BI Delivery Solution
- Module 7: Designing a Reporting Services Solution
- Module 8: Designing an Excel Based reporting Solution
- Module 9: Planning a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Module 10: Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
- Module 11: Operating a BI Solution